Maximizing Fuel Efficiency
When it comes to saving money on your fleet, every dollar counts these days. Rising
diesel prices have dramatically impacted the way fleets operate and how efficiently owners can
run their companies. More often than not these increases in fuel prices are forced onto the
consumer directly. However, there are many ways that you can help to maximize your fuel
efficiency in order to save as much money as possible. See below for some ways to help save as
much as possible while operating your fleet during these difficult times.
1. Track Everything: It is difficult to improve your operating costs and expenses when you
are not actively tracking your current spend. It is important to track every dollar spent
and why. Make sure that your drivers also incorporate their idle time.
2. Reduce Idling: This is where APUs come to help save hundreds to thousands of dollars
annually. If you are not currently using APUs it is time you took a look at our cost savings
calculator on our website. You are missing out on significant savings.
3. Consider Load Placement: How you load your trailer impacts the fuel efficiency of every
drive. Try to streamline the wind as much as possible for any exposed areas. Also, evenly
distribute weight so that a smoother ride is possible.
4. Be Selective: Some routes just make more sense than others. Make sure you have
reviewed each route so that you check for things like hilly terrain to be certain that the
job is profitable.
5. Smooth Driver: Having a driver that drives “smoothly” can help save the most on gas
usage. Things like anticipating traffic stops and accelerating slowly can help save money
over time. The worst thing you can do is to constantly break or to break quickly as this
kills your fuel efficiency.